The Power of Personal Purpose
Empowering students to be drivers of their own learning.
kid∙FRIENDLy, our name conveys our “end in mind”, developing student leaders who are focused, responsible, imaginative, engaged, and determined to learn.
- Are creative, show initiative, and are drivers of their own learning.
- Have a future mindset and persist to meet life and academic goals.
- Value cultural differences.
- Problem-solve and resolve conflicts.
- Are proactive consumers of resources.
- Developing Student Agency
What is it?
- A combination of mindsets and learning strategies that support acquisition of the necessary knowledge, skills, and dispositions to advance achievement.
- Students must know and apply rigorous content across multiple disciplines, including: strategies to engage in higher order thinking, meaningful interactions with the world around them, and planning for the future.
- The student knows himself/herself well and has the will and ability to make interdependent and appropriate personal and professional career decisions.
- The learner takes charge of his or her learning.
- Students must develop socio-emotional behaviors associated with success.
- The student is empowered to act on his or her own behalf.
How Do Schools Promote It?
Through curriculum, instruction, and assessment models that prompt students to define their learning goals, relate to real-life experiences, and encourage thinking about their own thinking.
Student Agency is a way of perceiving learners, establishing encouraging and respectful learning systems, and developing environments that promote and sustain their academic and non-academic growth.
THE LEADER IN ME AND GRIT ARE TWO OF
kid∙FRIENDLy PATHWAYS TO STUDENT AGENCY
Student Leadership Director