The Next Phase Of Your Continuing Work With The GRREC/OVEC Race To The Top, kid∙FRIENDLy Grant
The “Innovation Snapshot” is a written description of the vision your school is working toward, the practices you’ve chosen to help you reach that vision, why you have chosen those practices for your school and your learners, and what supports you need to create personalized learning opportunities for your students. To help all of us think more like innovators and less like incremental change agents, we’re using the language of “innovation” and asking for a “snapshot” of your best thinking to build off of the 2013 foundational plan. We hope this shift will empower you to think boldly, experiment wisely, and learn quickly.
BY JANUARY 30, 2015; EMAIL TO YOUR kid∙FRIENDLy PROGRAM MANAGER
Innovation Snapshot Submission Details
Purpose of the Innovation Snapshot
- To build on your work from the 2013 Personalized Learning Plan
- To identify and further develop your school’s key focus area or model for innovation over the next two years and beyond that will lead to personalized learning and your desired future for your students
- To receive the most effective and targeted support that the grant project can provide through resources
- To provide an opportunity for sharing your compelling ideas with other kid∙FRIENDLy schools and the broader education community
How to Create an Innovation Snapshot
Personalized learning, schools have the freedom to create their “Innovation Snapshot.” That means there’s no particular template. You can use visuals if you want. You can include ideas not provided in the prompts below. The innovation focus must lead to personalized learning. Develop an innovation focus that best fits your learners, current capacity, and your desired future,and tell us about it.
A description of the personalized learning future you want for your learners by 2017 and beyond.
The compelling strategy that will best lead to that future, including:
- A name for your approach – a “personalized” title that is meaningful to your school some of the names in the field are the shifts in learning and/or teaching practices that comprise this strategy.
- What data, insights, and/or research led to the selection of this approach for personalized learning and the excitement of staff to provide the opportunity for students
- Current capacity and supports available or needed,particularly from kid∙friendly, to achieve the necessary shifts in practice
- Current status with respect to the idea(s) – planning stage? Ready to launch? Enhancing or expanding an existing innovative practice?
- What are a few next steps you will take?
We expect that the process of thinking about and developing the focus in the snapshot will itself propel you in your innovation journey toward personalized learning. To that end, there are several supports for a productive process, including:
Option 1: Team Time
The kid∙FRIENDLy Innovation Toolkit, which includes and 3 sets of protocols for your School Personalized Learning Innovation Team to do self-guided work.
Option 2: Day with Aaron Wilson-Ahlstrom, Experience Institute: School
Personalized Learning Innovation Teams can work with Experience Institute on November 5 in Bowling Green or November 6 in Shelbyville to work on the design for the future of learning in their school. Registration is limited (first-come, first-serve) for the optional Design Thinking
*Note: In order to assure use of efficient time and a quality product, before engaging in Option 2, please complete one or more empathy protocols from the Design Thinking module in the Innovation Toolkit.
Option 3: Support from kid∙FRIENDLy Team
Innovation team members can request support from kid∙FRIENDLy staff, which may include:
- Support on the protocols in Option 1 and using your initial information to define, ideate, and prototype your idea/ideas for the future of your school
- Conference calls to discuss the process and answer questions
- Brainstorming ideas
Your team might choose to do all three of these, or choose one option as a starting place and see where that takes you.